Friday, August 19, 2011

Extended Family Fun

The weekend of August 5-7 we traveled to Chicago (LaGrange) for the Messmore family reunion.  Now this isn't the normal family reunion where you get to see your aunts, uncles, & cousins.  We also see our 2nd, 3rd, 4th cousins, aunts, & uncles.  Well maybe not that distant but you get the idea.  My grandpa's brothers & sisters come with their kids & grandkids so we have quite the group! 

We arrived Friday afternoon, checked into the hotel, & headed to my dad's cousin Gary's house for a cook out & pool time.  Here are some pictures from that evening that I took from Gary's wife's facebook - thanks Linda! 
Grandma & Cora
Group Photo with most of us

My family was up bright & early Saturday morning so we drove into Chicago to tour Navy Pier.  We did a lot of walking, took some pictures, & had lunch before heading back.  My brother even started to complain about his feet hurting and I immediately gave him the "did you really just say that to a preggo" look.  I was in flip-flops, sweating like a man & I wasn't complaining.  I'm sure he learned what NOT to say to a pregnant woman.  haha

We were each others dates :)
Group shot at the end of the pier


Saturday evening we gathered for the infamous Messmore family photo before heading to dinner at Salerno's.  
The "Sarah Messmore" picture, but now there's only one!
We had lots of fun catching up with extended family and listening to our grandparents talk about the "old days." haha.  The end of the night entertainment consisted of a family trivia game.  It was pretty interesting to learn fun facts about family members - especially from when they were younger.  Here are some pictures of our immediate family:
The Wood family minus Michael & Brooke
The Messmores minus Patrick & family
The Messmores minus Megan & Stephanie
My fam
Grandma & Aunt Aly
Grandpa on the right & his brother Harry 
This is a distant Messmore relative that found my cousin Ian online & has done tons of research on the Messmore family.  He traced the roots back to the Mesmer's of Switzerland in the early 1600's.  He gave a short speech about our heritage which we've never done before.  

We all had a great time catching up with everyone & missed those of you who couldn't attend!  Sunday morning we got up, had breakfast, & said our goodbyes.  Oh yeah, and took a preggo picture (bad idea on a Sunday morning).  Oooh well, we had to document the 3 preggos of the group!  
My cousin Scott's wife, Bobbi, me, & my dad's cousins' daughter, Josie
And little did we know but there was another preggo in attendance who hadn't told anyone yet - my cousin Ryan & his wife Kari are due in March with their 3rd bambino, congrats!        

No comments:

Post a Comment