Thursday, December 22, 2011

Back to Work

November 30 was the big day...the day I went back to work.  This day seemed so far off when I had Kinley and I cherished every day that I had off with her.  Those 10 weeks flew by and it definitely snuck up on me. I knew I wanted to start back in the middle of the week so I would only have a few days to get through instead of a full week.  I also knew that our schedules would need to be reworked so we could all get out the door on time in the mornings and that seemed like a pretty daunting task. 
The day before I went back to work
Luckily, we don't have to be at work at the same time so Scott is able to watch Kinley & get her ready while I'm getting ready.  Then Kinley & I rush out the door around 8:00 and Scott hurries to get ready...and probably relishes the silence, haha.  It has actually worked pretty well so far except I think I get later and later every day.

The first day I was up and going at 5:30am.  I nursed Kinley and she went back to sleep for an hour or so which worked perfect.  I was able to get ready and out the door by 7:50 and made it to Sue's by 8:00.  I warned her that this probably wouldn't be the norm but hooray for me being early!  We went over a couple things and Sue gave me a little goody bag for my first day back which almost made me cry, haha.  I kissed my babydoll goodbye and held it together pretty well...until my feet hit the sidewalk as I closed the door.  I really tried to keep it together but once I got in my car the tears flowed & I sobbed for a few minutes on the drive in.  I quickly got over it because I knew Kinley was in great hands and I had nothing to worry about.  It just hit me hard that those first precious weeks were over and that she was going to be growing like crazy in the next few months.
My back to work goody bag
I had a great welcome back at work so that made things easier.  I spent the day catching up on emails since I didn't check it at all when I was on leave.  I know this might sound bad but it was kind of nice to have some 'me time' to relax for a few hours.  My life had been go, go, go from the second I crawled out of bed to the moment I crawled into bed and now I had a little time to regroup and focus.  I think that's going to help me be a better mommy when I get home in the evenings, too.
Not only did I get a goody bag from Sue, but I also got flowers from Kinley (and daddy obviously).  Those small gestures definitely put a smile on my face and made me feel like I had a great support team.  The next 2 days seemed to drag because I was getting caught up on work and had more time to miss Kinley.  Now everyday at 4:00 I start my countdown to Kinley!
There are definitely days that I wish I could work from home but with a baby that needs a lot of attention at this age, I don't think it would be doable.  I miss her so much during the day that I rush out the door at 4:55...I mean 5:00 and race to Sue's house to pick her up! 
Finally home with my buttercup!

No comments:

Post a Comment